121 E 200 S|
Salt Lake City UT
|Record #39618 |
Opened: December 24, 1894|
Closed: Yes (date unknown)
Demolished: Yes (date unknown)
Current Organ: none
| Also Known As: Grand Opera House, New Grand, Garrick, Hippodrome|
Information for this tour was contributed by Grant Smith.
The Grand Opera House opened on 24 December 1894 and presented stock company drama.  The opera house was renamed the New Grand Theatre by 1898 and the Grand Theatre by 1903.  About 1914 it may have been known as the Garrick Theatre,  but it may have returned to the name of Grand Theatre about 1918.  From about 1920 to 1930, the theater was the Hippodrome Theatre. 
As the Grand, the theater presented stock and variety shows. As the Hippodrome, it was used as a sports arena. The theater was destroyed by fire. 
1. "A State is Born", by Richard, D. Poll, Utah Historical Quarterly, Volume 32, Number 1 (Winter 1964), Utah State History CD-ROM
2. Polk's Utah Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1903-1904, 1908-1909, 1918-1919; Polk's Salt Lake City Directory, 1896, 1897, 1898, 1905, 1906, 1908
3. Polk's Utah Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1914-1915
4. Polk's Utah Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1918-1919
5. Polk's Utah Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1920-1921, 1922-1923, 1927-1928, 1930-1931; Polk's Salt Lake City Directory, 1930.
6. "THEATER IN UTAH", Ann W. Engar, Utah History Encyclopedia. This source says the Grand Theatre opened in 1906 and was destroyed by fire in the 1920s.
Return to the top of this page or Return to the main page
Last featured 1/30/2011. Last edited 1/30/2011.
Buy movie tickets, look up showtimes, watch trailers and more!